Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Goodly Harvest



It has been a while since I have posted anything. I have had so much fun, finding and taking pictures of so many warblers, that I haven't had much time for anything else.

Most of the sightings have been at Tommy Thompson Park. My husband and I were fortunate enough to see some at Thickson's Woods, and at Cranberry Marsh. However, we can see the same birds closer to home.

More experienced birders seem to be reporting 20 or more warbler species at one go. The most we've managed in one day has been 16 species. As the weather gets warmer, I hope that we will match the bigger numbers.

Tommy Thompson is also a great place to see flycatchers. Usually, they show up a little later- say when the mosquitoes are present. That's when I will stop going to the wet parts of the park, I think.

Some nice surprises over the past two weeks have been close up views of a Scarlet Tanager, a Tennessee Warbler, a Black-throated Blue Warbler female, and a Bay-breasted male. Close up views of the Blackburnian male continue to elude me.

The Yellow Warblers are plentiful, and they don't seem to be as shy as the other warbler species. I love their beauty, and how they zip around from branch to branch. I think they are having a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment