Thursday, August 20, 2009

Long Time no See



It's been a really long time since I've posted anything, so I thought I had better do so now. I hadn't gone birding for almost the whole of July, as my husband was out of the country. He went birding there, and saw about 20 or so new species. The closest I got was the sight of a male American Goldfinch that serenaded me outside my window, one morning.

We had gone to Riverwood, and saw more flowers than birds. We saw a House Wren, and a flycatcher of some sorts; and that was about it. July was a cold and wet month. Birds don't seem to like that too much. Now that hot steamy weather has returned, there are birds coming out of the woodwork. I don't know where they managed to hide themselves, but I'm glad that something is still here. So far, thank goodness, nothing is in fall colours (or eclipse plumage).

After the first week in August, my husband and I went to Tommy Thompson, in the hope of finding some bird species. At the end of our walk, we were pleasantly surprised to a young Cooper's Hawk flying around the shoreline. He or she perched on some rusty rebar, in order to look us over at its leisure. The sandpipers that were there, disappeared in a flash. The same with the Terns and the gulls that normally scan that part of the shore for fish. I don't even think there were cormorants nearby.

A few days later, we went to Reesor pond, to look at shorebirds. For some reason, this year, there are a lot of Egrets hanging out. Some counts were as high as one dozen in the very small pond. We saw quite a few; along with several Great Blue Heron, Dunlin, Kildeer, Spotted Sandpiper, and that sort of thing. At one point an Osprey flew into range, but didn't stop. I guess the fish there were not big enough to bother with.

No comments:

Post a Comment